Things to do in our area
The Tsitsikamma-Nature's Valley area of the Garden Route is one of South Africa's premier adventure destinations.
Here are some of the reasons why...
Please ask at reception or during breakfast when you're staying at Lilypond Country Lodge for information and help with reservations for day-time activities and tours in our region.
Places to see
Knysna • Plettenberg Bay • Tsitsikamma National Park • Stormsriver Mouth / Otter trail • Robberg Nature Reserve • Monkey Land • Tenikwa • Birds of Eden • Elephant Sanctuary • Keurbooms river & beach • Nature's Valley beach* The Mill Tourism & Craft Centre
Things to do
Whale and Dolphin watching • Hiking • Golf • Polo • Horse riding • Bungy jump • Africanyon • Mountain biking • Boating • Fishing • Tree Top Canopy Tours
Please ask during breakfast how we can help you to plan your day.
Explore the Tsitsikamma
‘Tsitsikamma’ is probably an ancient Khoi word meaning sparkling waters - and with its indigenous fynbos and forests, rivers, streams, and deep river gorges tumbling down into the Indian Ocean, the Tsitsikamma is the garden of the Garden Route.
- Face Adrenalin Bloukrans Bungy: bungi from the world’s highest commercial bungy bridge - 216 meters (709 feet) above the Bloukrans River. Bridge walking tours also available.
- Tsitsikamma Canopy Tours: Stormsriver Adventures’ fun and informative tours of the indigenous forest – by foefie slide, from tree to tree in the forest canopy.
- Tsitsikamma Woodcutters Journey: experience the indigenous forest from the comfort of specially designed vehicles - down the old Stormsriver Pass, along an elephant trail, passing yellowwoods and stinkwoods...
- Tsitsikamma Black Water Tubing: five-hour-long tubing, paddling, and swimming adventures.
- Untouched Adventures: scuba diving, snorkelling, kayaking, kloofing
Walking and short hikes in Storms River Village and the Tsitsikamma section of the Garden Route National Park
- Fynbos Golf & Country Estate: 9-hole links-type course with a large wetlands asrea. Paspalum greens (a grass ideally suited to coastal conditions) and kikuyu fairways.
Dining & farm produce
- Oudebosch Farm Stall & Information Centre: Curios, light meals, home baking. Telephone 0027(0)42 2850 562
- Finebush Farm. A working farm with farm stall, country kitchen and nursery. Healthy chemical free foods. The nursery propagates indigenous plants for restoration and other projects
- Marilyn's 60's Diner: Cadillacs and Chevvies, neon signage, Elvis and Marilyn memorabilia, juke box and sugar shakers. Classic diner fare: cakes and milkshakes, sll-American cocktails, burgers, steaks, deserts
- Rafters Restaurant at Armagh Country Lodge & Spa: country cooking and personally chosen wines
- De Oude Martha Restaurant, Hunter's Pub and the Tsitsikamma Micro Brewery at Tsitsikamma Village Inn
- Tsitsikamma Tourism: www.tsitsikamma.info - telephone 0027(0)42 285 0562
Garden Route National Park
The 144,000 hectare Garden Route National Park - one of South Africa’s largest national parks - protects a range of habitats: from the Outeniqua Mountains to the country’s largest block of Afromontane (yellowwood) forest, and from unique areas of sandstone fynbos, to rocky and sandy shores - and (in the Tsitsikamma section) Africa’s oldest and largest marine protected area.
Stretching from The Wilderness, close to the city of Gorge, to the Tsitsikamma (the area east of Plettenberg Bay, where Lilypond is situated), the Park is made up of a number of separate wildlands areas:
- The Knysna Lakes
- Tsitsikamma - the section closest to Lilypond, and which includes Storms River Mouth and the Tsitsikamma Marine Protected Area (Africa’s oldest MPA).
Wildlife in the Park includes more than 250 species of birds, and (closer to Knysna) the southernmost herd - and only free-ranging herd - of African elephants.
Attractions in the Park include:
- Tsitsikamma Canopy Tours
- Mountain biking (mostly in the Knysna section - at Harkerville, about 40 km from Lilypond)
- Walking, hiking, and picnicking
- Water activities in the Tsitsikamma Section - including river tubing, canoeing, kayaking and lilo adventures, snorkelling and scuba diving at Storms River Mouth
Golf in Plettenberg Bay
- Goose Valley Golf Club: 72 par, 18-hole course designed by Gary Player. Kikuyu fairway with bentgrass greens. 20 km from Lilypond
- Plettenberg Bay Country Club: 18 hole par 72 golf course in a private nature reserve. A parklands course – with no houses overlooking the greens or fairways - with kikuyu fairways and bayview greens over-seeded to bent grass. The club also has two bowling greens and four all-weather tennis courts. Visitors welcome. 26 km from Lilypond